Sunday, March 2, 2008

Picking a winner

Every once and awhile we get confirmation that we made the right decision. When it comes to being with my husband, I really don't need it because I get that confirmation everyday, but sometimes, I get a wow punch in the head, that I picked a real winner. Often times it's when I see his sensitivity and kindness come through, whether talking about family, or love of animals, or just the little things he does.

Tonight like a bunch of old farts, we were watching 60 Minutes during dinner. A segment came on about Americans with no healthcare or enough healthcare. There is a great organization called Remote Area Medical. This organization, on a shoe string budget (last year only 250k), offers healthcare fairs offering free medical, dental, and vision care. The organization originally started offering healthcare to third world countries, but now due to the incompetence of our government and private healthcare company greed, the services are needed in the US. So the story went on about individuals in our country are uninsured or under insured. As we watched everyday normal people, basically working poor, show up to wait twelve hours for healthcare, I could see Mike getting more and more upset, as was I. It was frustrating to see so many good people put their lives at risk because they had no insurance or couldn't afford deductibles or follow up treatments.

At the end of the segment, we were both upset, because even in our cynicism we both care. Mike got up from the table and as he walked away, I could see tears on his face. My heart swelled and my love for the 100th time in a day was confirmed. I got lucky when he decided he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. Loving someone because of the wonderful things the do is something, but loving someone because of the man they are, well that is priceless.

I highly encourage all that can spare anything, a buck, five bucks or more, to generously give to Remote Area Medical.

No comments: